Via Mazzini can be considered the most glamorous street in the city.
According to tradition, that street was already a meeting point with the Visconti family. It was called Via Nuova, and the citizens of Verona used to walk along this street on holiday days, when they were not working at the craft workshops that occupied the sides of the street. In 1822, for the Verona Congress, it was paved and closed to traffic; at that time, it reached the crossroads with Via Mario Alberto where today there is a pharmacy, and Loggia Arvedi. This building, until 1816, was an old bronze foundry for the construction of bells, then, as designed by architect Barbieri, it became a magnificent example of Verona-style neoclassicism with Ionic arches and columns.
In 1907, the City Council, as an act of reverence for the fact that Verona was annexed to Italy, decided to devote streets or squares to the representatives of justice. So, this street was named after Giuseppe Mazzini (1805-1872), who had supported the unification of Italy, as well as independence and democracy.
Today Via Mazzini is characterised by many elegant shops, selling merchandise that can meet all needs.