Torri del Benaco is a little pearl of lake Garda. It is situated in the north-eastern part of the lake. The first settlements date back to the year 2000 BC, as demonstrated by the findings of lake dwellings, and the petroglyphs, that you can not miss. Because of the Quaternary glaciations that smoothed the mountains, many rocks in this area became natural slates. Engravers, probably pastors or soldiers who happened to be there, immortalised drawings of weapons, crosses, geometric figures and human warriors, games and animals.
The Romans were the first to build the historic centre, continuously expanded by successive conquerors as the Goths, the Lombards and, at the beginning of the tenth century, the Hungarians. In the twelfth century, the Scaligeri realised how important Torri was for the control of Malcesine and Lazise, that is why Antonio della Scala ordered to rebuild the castle in 1383, to make it larger. The little port is dominated by the fifteenth century Palazzo del Consiglio della Gardesana, where the federation of the ten municipalities of Verona used to meet, and by the clock tower where, in the Middle Ages, all heads of families gathered to discuss the affairs of the community. The parish church of Torri was already mentioned in a bull of 1145 and today houses beautiful marble altars and paintings by Cignaroli, Cappelletti and Rotari. But there are other solitary parish churches dating back to the XIII-XIV century, hidden here and there between ancient streets and olive groves, as the Chiesa di San Giovanni, built on an old cemetery, the Church of the Trinity, the Church of Sant’Antonio and the Church of Santi Faustino e Giovita.