Riva del Garda is a town in Trentino Alto Adige, on the north end of Lake Garda. Particularly enchanting for its majestic mountains behind the beautiful narrow gulf, it attracts tourists for its history and art, its Mediterranean oasis of lemon trees, palms, laurels and olive trees, but also because it is the ideal place for sailing and windsurfing.
Its first inhabitants were of Celtic origin, followed by the Romans, as shown by the gravestones discovered. Subsequently, due to its privileged position, the Goths, the Lombards and the Franks fought to gain control of the town until, in 983, it became a fief of Bishopric of Verona. The Scaligeri, the Visconti, the Venetian Republic and the Counts of Tyrol contributed to its development and to make it the beautiful town we can admire today. The Fortress, dating back to the twelfth century, in fact, was restored by the Scaligeri family, then by the Venetians and the bishops of Trento. Towards the nineteenth century, the Austrians took away the town from the Napoleonic Kingdom, ruling until 1918. Riva, in fact, became part of the Kingdom of Italy only after the First World War.
Some great personalities of the past stayed here, such as Sigmund Freud, Kafka and Rudolf Steiner.
The Bastione Veneziano, dating back to1500 and used as a lookout post, the Chiesa dell’Inviolata, a wonderful baroque opera of 1603 which houses paintings by Brusasorci and the Piazza III Novembre, surrounded by medieval houses and arcades, the Praetorian Palace, the Municipal Palace, dating back to the fourteenth century and the Torre Aponnale, built in 1220, are some interesting places to visit.