Villa Santa Sofia was built by the famous architect Andrea Palladio in 1560 and since 1996 has been included among UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites.
Already in the mid-800, the company was known for the excellent quality of its wines. The wines are produced from grapes carefully selected coming from the most suited and best exposed hillsides in the surrounding area. But the wine tradition of the place has more ancient origins: part of the old cellars were already used for the ageing of wine in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Over the years, Santa Sofia has built up and maintained a reputation which has seen it increase successfully from a "small estate with high quality" to a company which has become one of the most significant realities in the Veronese winemaking world, pursuing a “strategy of excellence” – as Giancarlo likes to call it. Focused on the tradition and on the importance of maintaining wines with a very easy-drinking style, he applies itself also in the selection of wines from other Verona areas.
All that allowed Santa Sofia to position their wines in more than 50 countries around the world.
The company has recently bought a new vineyard in Briago, Valpantena, reaching the goal of a 53 hectares propriety.
Today the Begnoni family lives enthusiastically their role as witnesses and guardians of this great wine tradition.